Monday, August 31, 2009

As Waistlines Widen, Brains Shrink

Now more than ever we read more and more studies of how obesity is so harmful to our health. I know that when I was obese not only did I look older, but I felt older because of the limited mobility I had and lack physical activity I was able to do.

Now, at average weight I feel like there is no limitation on what I can do physically. I realize I get older every day but since I feel so good, I forget I am almost 50 years old....It is only a number....and I intend to keep working hard and staying fit for a long time.

Read the article below and share with all you know how important it is to get the WEIGHT OFF AND KEEP IT OFF.

Much love,

Ginger




As Waistlines Widen, Brains ShrinkWEDNESDAY, August 26 (HealthDay News) – For every excess pound piled on the body, the brain gets a little bit smaller. That's the message from new research that found that elderly individuals who were obese or overweight had significantly less brain tissue than individuals of normal weight.

"The brains of obese people looked 16 years older than their healthy counterparts while [those of] overweight people looked eight years older," said the senior author of the study published online in Human Brain Mapping. The findings could have serious implications for aging, overweight or obese individuals, including a heightened risk of Alzheimer's, the researchers said.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_88574.html

No comments:

Post a Comment