Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Head Hunger vs Stomach Hunger

I am 8 1/2 years out from RNY. For me one of the hardest things to learn was the difference in Head Hunger and Stomach Hunger. The surgeon does surgery on our stomach not our head; we have to do the work on that. And if you are like me I was (am) a compulsive eater, emotional eater, stress eater, grazer and also addicted to carbs/sugar. I am still all these but am able to manage them (for the first time in my life).

I remember when I had surgery a couple of weeks later I cried for Pizza, I wanted it so bad. Food (especially) sugar/carbs) have been my drug of choice since I was a little girl! Breaking the cravings and being disciplined didn't come over night. But because I do not eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, or sugar (ever) I have broken the cravings, I don't want them or think about them. It is kind of second nature, now. Sometimes we have to get counseling to help us with this. There is nothing wrong with that, I did it myself. Also, find a support group and attended. It is so important.

Whether it is true stomach hunger or head hunger you are feeling you need to learn how to handle it. Find something to do when you want food. Take a walk; call a friend, what ever it takes to make you stop thinking about food. Also, our stomach growls all the time, it is the remnant stomach working it doesn't mean we are hungry. I can eat and 5 minutes later it is growling so loud the neighbors can hear it! LOL

WLS is is NOT A DIET; it is a life style change. I hate to tell you this, but the further out you get the more you can eat and if you don't learn healthy eating and exercise habits, it will be much harder later. This is manageable and you can do it!!! You just need to learn the skills to do it!

No one ever said WLS was easy and if they did they didn't know what they were talking about! WLS is a tool to use to lose weight and keep it off.....learn to use your tool!!! As time goes by it does get easier to manage if create healthy habits from the start.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!! AND NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!

Hugs,

Ginger

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I needed this reminder. It's very difficult to remain disciplined and SO easy to backslide. I think the head hunger works in conjunction with the choir in my head who tries to convince me to stay in bed mornings instead of working out.

    ReplyDelete